January 9, 2014

fieldtrip to joshua tree with Sky Guide




When you've been dating a person for awhile, it's sometimes difficult coming up with new, fun things to shake up that movie night rut you've fallen in to. Plus it's even harder when you're in college or recently graduated and money is tight.

Many of the weekend trip ideas I see are dates like renting a vintage airstream trailer on an ocean bluff or in a rustic yurt. Now don't get me wrong, I am all for that if anyone wants to take me there, but $150-$200 a night those trips are just not in my post-grad budget. So here is what I did a for a simple, alternative weekend getaway...

I live near Joshua Tree National Park, only a 2 hour drive from L.A., but being in the city you kind of forget stars actually exist with the city lights marring the view. Even the Milky Way galaxy was visible! It was absolutely breathtaking.

After cooking chicken apple sausages over the fire-pit, we laid out our blanket, sipped some pan-heated hot chocolate with a dash of Bailey's (yum!), and downloaded the Sky Guide app ($2) to get the most out of our stargazing venture. I can't stop raving about it! Simply point your iPhone/iPad to the heavens and Sky Guide will show you exactly which stars you're looking at, the constellation guidelines, and the mythology behind them. It's so exciting learning about the different constellations and the app itself is almost as pretty and beautifully designed as the stars themselves. Reading about Orion, while gazing into the infinite abyssit doesn't get much more romantic than that...cue the guitar.

While I imply that this is a great date idea, it would make for an adventurous outing with your close friends too. (And let's be real, that's what I did.) If you get the chance to escape the city lights, go on a modern stargazing date with this app. It's the bees knees!

xo from catie



{ top photo by Rene Barrios // bottom photo by me }

No comments:

Post a Comment