March 14, 2014

happy pi day!

3 . 1 4 1 5 9 2 6 5 3 5 8 9 7 9 3 2 3 8 4 6 2

Today is pi day (3/14)! Fun fact—did you know there is a literary genre of pi called Pilish in which each word length corresponds to the consecutive digit in pi. Not A Wake by Michael Keith is the first book written in Pilish up to 10,000 digits. Wow! Here is his first line, notice "now I fall" = 3 (.) 1 4:
Now I fall, a tired suburbian in liquid under the trees,
Drifting alongside forests simmering red in the twilight over Europe.
Quite a writing constraint! I wanted to try writing in Pilish too, so here is a piku, a take on the Japanese haiku with 3/14/15 syllable stanzas, that I wrote:
See a star,
A light, playfully it bounds about the lucid sunbeams.
Twinkling faintly, starlight led to the darkened wild beyond it.
I have to give Pilish writers credit, balancing word length with syllables while simultaneously making sense is way harder than it looks. Full disclosure, that probably took me 2 hours to write. Happy pi day, everyone!

xo from catie

p.s. Next year's pi day falls on March 14, 2015 or 3/14/15, the first 5 digits of pi! 

No comments:

Post a Comment