May 21, 2015

ex libris bookplates


I have to confess, I hoard books...especially when it comes to pretty ones. But one problem with having a little library is that it's hard to keep track of loaned books. I didn't want to just write my name haphazardly in each book, so to solve this problem (in the most artful way possible) I made a custom bookplate stamp! Have you heard of these beauties?


Bookplates were once used by affluent people who could afford the luxury of personal libraries. Long before cheap paperbacks and eReaders, books were a valuable commodity. These bookplates allowed owners to identify their books upon loaning them out.


Originating in Germany during 16th century by Christian monks, the use of bookplates spread across Europe and the Americas often using identifying designs like family crests and Latin mottoes. Eventually the designs took on more of a personal significance. However by the 1950s bookplates grew obsolete.

Now in 2015, we're bringing it bookplates back! (Or at least I am.) I've gifted several of these to the bookworms in my life. Here are some of my favorites from Etsy:


Kelsey Pike hand carves each stamp with designs ranging from the Golden Ratio to Moby-Dick! (NERDING OUT.)

Make this timeless writing utensil stamp all your own.


And lastly this bookplate stamp can be found on the flyleaf of all my books! It beckoned my name as soon as I saw it.

If you're crafty, try carving your own for a truly personal design. Do you find yourself forgetting about borrowed books? What do you think about bookplates for your library? I'd love to hear!

xo from catie

No comments:

Post a Comment